PAWS Animal Assisted Therapy was founded in July 2016 by Sarah Gordon. PAWS is based in Harlow, Essex.
Sarah is a qualified teacher and has experience teaching children with complex educational needs.
Animal Assisted Therapy is becoming a popular form of therapy in the UK. It is of great importance that both practitioner and therapy animal are certified appropriately. Please find below a list of qualifications that Sarah currently holds.
- Qualified Teacher BA (HONS)
- Special Needs Teacher for 2+ Years teaching children with complex needs including; Autistic Spectrum, ADHD, Global Development Delay, PDA, Attachment/Traumatised Child Disorder, Genetic Disorders (chromosomal deletions), Speech and Language Delay, Sensory Integration/Attachment Disorder.
- Certified Animal Assisted Therapy Practitioner, BSY
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills, CPCAB
- Animal Assisted Therapy in Counselling Certificate, Humanima CIC
- Certificate in Therapuetic Play, IATE
- Animal Assisted Play Therapy, Level 1, IIAAPT
- Animal Assisted Play Therapy: Level 2 Relationships and Applications, IIAPT
- Canine Communication in Animal Assisted Play Therapy, IIAPT
- Essentials of Canine Behaviour & Training for AAPT: Building the Therapeutic Partnership, IIAPT
- Level 2 Award in Speech and Language Support for 5-11s, AptEd
- Certified Professional Practitioner of Animal Assisted Play Therapy™, IIAPT
Currently our one therapy animal is a Newfoundland dog named Frank.
Being a Newfoundland, Frank is an exceptionally large dog with an extremely charming personality. Newfoundlands are known for the gentle temperament and their patience with children. Some may recall "Nana" the Newfoundland in Peter Pan.
Frank was selected very carefully from a quality breeder.
Like Sarah, Frank has also worked very hard for his qualifications:
- APDT Puppy Pre-School
- APDT Puppy Foundation
- Kennel Club Puppy Foundation
- Kennel Club Bronze Good Citizen Award
- Kennel Club Silver Good Citizen Award
- Kennel Club Gold Good Citizen Award [working towards]
- Pet as Therapy assessed
- Approved Animal Assisted Play Therapy Dog, IIAPT